My Folkboat "Patience"
Home
Images
Ships Log
To do List
Folkboat Links
Boat information
Email me
Here are some assorted photographs of my work on Patience, my 1958 Nordic Folkboat.
 
Here she is on the trailer infront of the my house (the red brick one) Wide shot of her infront of my house. You can see that she needs quite a bit of work... Shot of her transom This is looking at her from my front porch. I'm known for doing crazy stuff around here, but I think that my neighbors thought that I finally lost it. Here she is still on the trailer at the boat yard.
Getting lifted off the trailer. When we put her on the trailer we used jacks and large beams to lift her up and drive the trailer under. It took us about 4 hours to get her on and happy. This gives you an idea of just how the bottom looked when I got her. This gives you an idea of what some of her topside planks had split. I wooded the hull completely, and went about replacing a piece of deadwood that had rotted out. Here you can see it. At this point I had already put one coat of bottom paint on the hull. Here she is with all of the port side caulked and partially painted. Along the way I refastened all the Garboards with new Bronze screws.
I ended up cutting out a big piece of the transom chasing rot. I replace the inner piece with a larger one to give added support for the motor bracket. A closer shot of what I cut out. This is the piece that I epoxied and screwed onto the new backing piece that I made This is the fixed transom with paint on. It looks pretty good. I do want to get rid of the outboard and install the Diesel inboard that I still need to get. This gives you an Idea of just how nice she looks. What a great shearline! Nordic Folkboats have a wonderful shape to them. Plus they are tough as nails...
The boat was really really really dry. You can see the size of the cracks that had opened up in the planking. This is after I have been running sprinklers in her for a couple of weeks. All of these cracks closed up completely and are now totally water tight. This is another shot of what some of these cracks looked like. I wasn't too worried that they wouldn't seal back up. I'm glad that I held off fixing them for this season. Over the winter I will route out many of them and install Dutchmen. This is after I wooded the Starboard side, and started filling some of the uglies. I had already fixed all of the splits and bad scarf joints that had come apart. This is when I really started to feel good about the project. She was looking pretty good. This is after two coats of Kirby's Paint. They make really good paint, and are a traditional old school place. Screw Interlux! Give these guys a call. Now she is really looking good!
It is getting close to launching day. I still needed to figure out most of the standing and running rigging. I head the 2 shrouds and the head stay, but that was it. I had to manufacture mounting bolts, tangs, jumper stays, back stays, and all the running rigging plus tackle. Eight years since she hit the water. I bet the old girl was as nervous as I was. Well the water came in pretty quickly. To say the least. She was full in about 10 minutes. With 3 zimmer pumps going it didn't look good. She just needed a few hours. With it 3 hours all it took was one pump, but water was still coming in at a pretty good pace.

Here she is tied up at her berth. We had just raised the mast, which went well with 6 people. I got the port shroud mixed up with the forestay, so I got to climb an unstayed mast and switch the two. I will try to find the photos my dad took.

 

That is our Lyman tied up next to her. To see more Lyman photos go here.

This is about the steady stream of water that was coming in after 4 days. At this point I had almost given up hope. The water is coming in through 3 different places. In the middle of the hull on either side there was a pretty good trickle, and it is coming up from under the mast step. Further investigation shows that there is some rot in the keel. Looks like I have more work to do.

Here Patience is happily put away for the winter. As you can see I took this shot during a snow storm. We ended up getting 2ft of snow.

This Shot gives you a better idea of how hard it was snowing. Sometimes I go out and just sit in the cockpit and think about the summer. It isn't quite the same thing when it is 15 degrees and the snow if flying though...

This is a side shot of Patience in the barn. I will have to sand the whole hull again this year, so we didn't scrub the bottom very well when we pulled her out. The trip to Tom's house took a fair amount of time because I was pulling her with our old Jeep Truck. 30 mph the whole way...

Here are a number of sailing shots that I took the first summer when I put her in the water. I have totally re-rigged her, and done lots of work to the hull and sails.

Another far away shot of Patience sailing.

My friend Tom sailing. I took this shot from the dinghy as he sailed away. At the time he wasn't the best sailor, so it was a long row back...

This is our WhiteHall built by Shew and Burnham up in Maine in the 80's.

My very first sail on her with no wind to be had!. Soon I will post more pictures of actually sailing. They are in slide form so it will take me a couple of days to scan them in.

startP